Saim Akif

CPA, CFA, CAMS, Realtor

Cryptocurrency and Virtual Currency Accounting
Real Estate and Construction Accounting

Saim Akif, CPA, CFA, CAMS, Realtor

How do I report cryptocurrency gains and losses on my tax return?

Hey Saim! I know that crypto is taxed as a capital asset, so how do I report that on my tax return?

This is one of those filings you definitely want to get right to avoid getting fined. You’ll need three forms:

  1. Form 8949
  2. Schedule D
  3. Form 1099-B

Form 8949 reports sales and exchanges of capital assets. Schedule D is where you’ll report gain or loss transactions. There are additional forms you may need, depending on your case. I’d highly recommend getting help from an expert on this one!

Ask a Question

© Saim Akif, 2021